Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Events & Marketing Intern - Appleton Farms
Appleton Farms, established in 1638, is the oldest continuously operating farm in the country. At almost 1000 acres, Appleton is a sustainable farm that grows healthy and delicious food for local families while modeling best practices that contribute to a diverse ecological landscape where pollinators, birds, and wildlife thrive alongside our crops and livestock – helping to preserve healthy farmland in Massachusetts, forever. The farm hosts year-round educational programs and events that foster a sense of place and deep appreciation for local food, farms, history, and nature. Appleton is one of The Trustees most prominent properties and our most important platform for engaging and introducing new people to the agricultural work of the organization.
The Appleton Farms Marketing & Events Intern will focus on supporting the Appleton Team on a broad spectrum of programming, digital marketing, public relations, and customer service responsibilities. This is an unpaid position, but course credit may be applicable. This is also a remote position, but ideal candidates will have the ability to travel to Appleton Farms at least once per month (the Farm is transit accessible).
This internship provides the opportunity to gain skills and experience related to marketing, event planning, office administration, and social media. We are seeking candidates who are eager to learn the nuances of working at a nonprofit organization and who are willing to take on the challenges of a start-up endeavor. While the position is unpaid, the intern will gain valuable experience, a letter of recommendation, and connections to local food companies and partners.
3-month minimum commitment, rolling start
Minimum 12-15 hours per week, based on a weekly schedule determined by the candidate’s availability. Appleton Farms is open 7 days per week.
General responsibilities may include the following:
· Event Promotion – work with staff to create event materials, populate online calendars, create social media packages, and execute events.
· Outreach and Marketing - create ad hoc social media content, take photos during events, organize photo library, and create flyers and signage for events and general programming needs.
· Kitchen Support - work with staff on site in support of general Kitchen management including inventory and supplies, signage, and program setup and breakdown when needed.
· Volunteer Management - coordinate with the Program Coordinator to keep volunteer database updated.
· Log internship hours into the Hands on Connect database weekly
· Interest in sustainability, conservation, food systems, start-up business experience, and/or the nonprofit sector
· Currently pursuing or have recently completed an undergraduate degree
· Strong communication skills and an outgoing and engaging personality
· Basic computer literacy and knowledge of Microsoft Office, knowledge of design software including Adobe systems is a plus
· Highly organized and able to keep track of multiple projects simultaneously
· Must be a self-starter and strong collaborator
Semester: Spring; Summer
About the Trustees:
The Trustees of Reservations is the oldest land conservation organization in the world, founded in 1891 to “preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts. The Trustees own 117 properties across Massachusetts on 27,000 acres, all of which are open to the public and supported by more than 125,000 members.
About Appleton Farms:
Appleton Farms is the oldest continually operating farm in the United States, established in 1636 by Samuel Appleton. Appleton Farms has been a Trustees property since 1998. The farm covers nearly 1,000 acres, 28.5 of which is farmed for Community Supported Agriculture. Appleton Farms is home to grazing cattle, a cheese kitchen, dairy store, historic buildings and many ecological wonders.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: