Field Assistant - Powisset Farm
All of us at The Trustees are excited to welcome volunteers back to our properties! We want to assure you our COVID protocols are designed to protect volunteers, staff and visitors and we are carefully monitoring adherence. We all know outdoor activity is restorative to the body and soul so please consider volunteering with us to make our properties welcoming to visitors while fulfilling your personal need to get outdoors, enjoying everything nature has to offer – all in a safe environment!
Powisset Farm is a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm located in Dover, Massachusetts. Throughout the summer and fall, the farm is a buzz, planting and harvesting for the current CSA season, and we welcome committed volunteers to assist us. The property is a happy and bustling gathering space for our community and we would love to have you join us. This position will be held on Monday mornings 9:00 a.m. – noon. Come learn more about farming as you work along side our farm staff. Many skills you learn will be transferable to your own home gardens.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to the following)
• Help with all aspects of CSA/farm stand distribution
• Maintain the fields by weeding (by hand or by specialized hand tool), laying row cover, staking and tying tomatoes
• Help with transplanting of seedlings and hand scale direct seeding
• Maintain tools and facilities associated with field work including the wash-up station, harvest containers, harvest and weeding tools.
• Wear closed toe shoes at all times while working in the fields. We also suggest that you wear long pants, however to do so is optional.
• Maintain communication with the farm crew and the farmer
• Log volunteer hours
• Enthusiasm for farming and being outside in all weather conditions
• Enthusiastic and able to do fast-paced, repetitive, detail-oriented work
• Ability to kneel and stand for an extended period of time
• Ability to identify the difference between a weed and specific veggies grown in the field
• Adhere to all safety protocols, including COVID-19 guidelines
• Minimum age: 16 years old
We ask for a seasonal commitment. Mondays, 9:00 a.m. – noon.
More about The Trustees
Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 116 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually. www.thetrustees.org.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.