The FARM Institute is a 162 acre working educational farm located between Edgartown center and South Beach on the island of Marthas Vineyard. The farm has been in agricultural production for over 200 years by island farmers. It is owned by the Town of Edgartown and was taken on by the Trustees in April of 2016. Our mission is to educate people of all ages and all backgrounds to the diverse operations of a working farm, with an emphasis on sustainability. The farm features expansive pastures, walking trails, livestock, gardens and a greenhouse, a small retail outlet and more. We are open year-round to visitors for tours and programming. Volunteers are always welcome and we have a variety of projects to get involved with. The Greenhouse Assistant position is open every Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon from 1 to 4 pm. and runs from early February thru the end of May. Greenhouse Assistants can work one or multiple afternoons per week for part or all of the duration of the season. Experience helpful but not required - come work and learn in a beautiful setting alongside our fun and talented farm staff.
• Assist with greenhouse duties including seeding trays, seedling care, transplanting and harvesting of winter greens.
• Assist with weeding, fertilizing, and upkeep of greenhouse beds.
• Wear closed toe shoes and appropriate clothing, hat and sunglasses optional.
• Maintain communication with the garden manager and farm staff as needed.
• Log volunteer hours
• Knowledge of horticulture and prior greenhouse experience helpful, not required.
• Willingness to learn and work to the best of one's ability
• Able to lift 25lbs. and push a wheelbarrow
• Legible handwriting and ability to read a spreadsheet
- Minimum age: 18 years old
- CORI / SORI background check
Greenhouse assistants are asked to volunteer at least one afternoon per week for either partial or full duration of the season.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.