is looking for volunteers to assist our Barnyard Educator with Open Barnyard days – Saturdays and Wednesday afternoons between June and October. This opportunity is great for adults and responsible teens interested in engaging the public with our animals. Training provided.
• Welcome the public, answer questions about Powisset Farm, and educate families about our animals
• Facilitate interaction with sheep, goats, chickens, pigs and bunnies with direction from the Barnyard Educator
• Assist with set up and break down of program supplies including crafts and children’s games
• Log volunteer hours weekly
• Able to lift 30 lbs or more
• Work in all weather conditions
• Comfortable to ask questions if unclear of chore
• Interest in working in a barn environment
• Desire to learn about animals
• Volunteers under 18 will require adult supervision and permission
Able to commit for 5 months or more to the same 2-4 hour shift once a week. Training begins by shadowing staff for three work sessions.
Current open shifts:
Wednesdays: 12:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Saturdays: 9:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. and/or 12:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
More about The Trustees
Founded by landscape architect Charles Eliot in 1891, The Trustees has, for more than 125 years, been a catalyst for important ideas, endeavors, and progress in Massachusetts. As a steward of distinctive and dynamic places of both historic and cultural value, The Trustees is the nation’s first preservation and conservation organization, and its landscapes and landmarks continue to inspire discussion, innovation, and action today as they did in the past. We are a nonprofit, supported by members, friends and donors and our 116 sites are destinations for residents, members, and visitors alike, welcoming millions of guests annually. www.thetrustees.org.
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.