Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+, Orientation Required
Crane Estate Garden Team
Castle Hill Garden Team Overview
We are looking for volunteers to join the Castle Hill Garden Team in Ipswich! Castle Hill is one of the nation’s best surviving Country Place Era estates, the summer home of Richard T. Crane Jr. and his family, constructed between 1909 and 1927. The property’s complex blending of buildings, formal landscaping, recreational and entertainment spaces, farm and greenhouse is the work of seven nationally-known architects, landscape architects and gardeners, surrounded by the magnificent natural scenery of Ipswich Bay, the Ipswich River and Fox Creek. Mrs. Crane bequeathed her estate to The Trustees in 1949.
Today, Castle Hill and the surrounding Crane Beach and Crane Wildlife Refuge total 2,096 acres of natural, historic and scenic land, one of The Trustees most iconic properties. We need your help to maintain these gorgeous grounds and formal gardens. This is a perfect opportunity for anyone with gardening skills that is interested in learning more about fine garden maintenance, has a passion and interest in plants and is looking to give back and be part of this special place.
- Assisting the horticulturist with general care of the formal gardens and surrounding areas
- Repetitive garden tasks such as deadheading, weeding, staking and pruning
- Seasonal garden tasks such as digging and dividing perennials, planting annuals and bulbs, mulching and fall clean ups
- Maintaining a clean, straight edge on existing garden beds
- Noting and reporting any plant, tree, shrub, or area that needs special attention
- Interacting with Castle Hill visitors by representing the Trustees in a professional, friendly and inviting manner
- Reporting volunteer service hours in a timely fashion
- Communicating with the Castle Hill horticulturist, Trustees stewardship staff, and Trustees Volunteer Coordinator.
- Enthusiastic about plants and gardening, especially formal landscapes and fine maintenance
- Interested in learning about Castle Hill, the gardens and their history
- Interest in performing fine gardening practices, including repetitive tasks such as deadheading, staking, weeding, watering and pruning.
- Able to use garden tools, including wheelbarrows, edger, trowels, shovels, pruners
- Able to identify plants and trees is a plus
- Ability to work with Trustees staff and other volunteers or to work independently
- Able to interact with visitors in a friendly manner
- Able to work outdoors in varying seasonal weather conditions
- Able to bend, stoop, dig, lift over 15lbs
Wednesday mornings from 9am-12pm, April – November
Contact Marc Mahan, Trustees Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: