Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+
Bluebird Monitor - South Coast
The Trustees is seeking local birders to help monitor bluebird nest boxes on a number of our South Coast properties. Monitoring our nest boxes is important because it provides information about the populations of bluebirds and other native cavity nesting birds on our properties and allows for the control of the non-native European House Sparrow. If left unchecked House Sparrows have the potential to take over nest boxes and chase native bird away. Cleaning and monitoring the boxes during the nesting season provides the best way to increase the bluebird populations on our grassland properties.
- Conduct weekly site visits from March – June to check nest boxes
- Monitor boxes for nesting activity and identify the species of bird in the box
- Control House Sparrows as needed
- Enter data into Cornell's NestWatch website
- Attend initial orientation
- Log volunteer hours
- Confidence in identifying nesting birds by sight, nest, or eggs. (training provided)
- The ability to make weekly visits to their monitoring site between March and June (time and transportation)
- The ability to follow survey protocol and enter data into Cornell's NestWatch database.
- General interest in land conservation
- Familiarity with birds and birding
- Previous training
- Ability to perform light walking/hiking and withstand hot/humid conditions
Time Commitment Needed
At least 1-2 hours per week, 4 months minimum
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: